Lately I've been having fun experimenting with vegetarian and vegan foods and thought it would be fun to blog the process (once I had tested them out that is!)
As someone with food sensitivities to a lot of healthy and hearty vegetables, it can be quite the challenge when making meals for myself.. and for the people who invite me for dinner. (I'm sorry!)
Although it can be annoying at times, it has also given me the opportunity to get creative with the foods I make and has made me more aware of what I'm putting into my body and how my body is affected by it.
I thought I would start with a yummy favourite - Peanut Butter Cups! For this recipe I used an organic dark chocolate bar and all natural peanut butter... that's it!
I first prepared my molds by placing cupcake liners into a small cupcake pan - make sure these are ready before you fully melt the chocolate. I then filled a small pot with water and placed a heat safe glass bowl on the top and placed the broken chunks of chocolate into the bowl. Make sure to watch your chocolate and to stir often so that it doesn't burn on the bottom of the bowl.
Once the chocolate is melted and you see no more chunks, spoon a layer of chocolate into the bottom of the cupcake liners. At this point I put my cupcake tray into the freezer for about 5 minutes to create a thin layer for the peanut butter to rest on. I used about a tbsp of natural peanut butter per each and dropped it into the middle of the cup and let it settle. After each cup had a layer of peanut butter I added the top layer of chocolate and popped it into the freezer overnight. After the first night in the freezer you can keep them in your fridge and eat them at any time! I find they're perfect if you let them sit out of the cold for a few minutes before eating!
VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
The following recipe makes 6 servings
- Dark chocolate of your choice - I used 1 full small bar
- 6 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter - I used smooth for this batch
- 6 Cupcake Liners
- Prepare your cupcake liners in a small cupcake tray
- Fill your pot with water and place a heat safe glass bowl on top. Bring to a slight boil
- Break up your chocolate and put it in the bowl to melt
- Once fully melted with no more chunks, spoon out a small layer into each cupcake liner
- Place the tray into the freezer for about 5 minutes to create a harder base
- Spoon about 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter onto each chocolate layer
- Cover each peanut butter layer with the remaining melted chocolate
- Put in a freezer overnight or until hardened